- ABC Board
- Board of Adjustments
- Blowing Rock Appearance Advisory Commission
- Planning Board
- Tourism Development Authority
The Blowing Rock ABC Board consist of three members, all appointed by the Town Board and reside within the town limits. Terms begin with the date of appointment and are three (3) years. Vacancies shall be filled by the Mayor and the Town Council for the unexpired term. The ABC Board shall have all of the powers and duties imposed by G.S. 18B-701:
- Buy, sell, transport and possess alcoholic beverages as necessary for the operation of its ABC stores;
- Adopt rules for its ABC system, subject to the approval of the State ABC Commission;
- Hire and fire employees for the ABC system;
- Designate one employee as manager of the ABC system and determine his responsibilities;
- Require bonds of employees as provided in the rules of the Commission;
- Operate ABC stores as provided in Article 8;
- Issue purchase transportation permits as provided in Article 4;
- Employ local ABC officers or make other provisions for enforcement of ABC laws as provided in G.S.18B-702;
- Borrow money as provided in G.S.18B-702;
- Buy and lease real personal property, and receive property bequeathed or given, as necessary for the operation of the ABC system;
- Invest surplus funds as provided in G.S. 18B-702;
- Dispose of property in the same manner as city council may under Article 12 of Chapter 160A of the General Statutes; and,
- Perform any other activity authorized or required by the ABC law.
ABC Board Members
- Robert Miller, Chair - Term Expires: 2019
- Susie Greene - Term Expires: 2020
- Sylvia Tarleton- Term Expires 2021
The Blowing Rock Board of Adjustments consist of nine members; five regular members, three alternate members, and one member appointed as the Watauga County extraterritorial area member.
Board of Adjustment members, as well as alternates, are appointed for three year staggered terms. Extraterritorial planning area members may vote only on matters pertaining to that portion of the extraterritorial planning area (Watauga or Caldwell Counties, respectively) that they represent.
Meetings of the Board of Adjustment are held the fourth Thursday of every month at the call of the chairman or vice chairman and at such other times as the board may determine. The board shall conducts its meetings in accordance with quasi-judicial procedures and must have a quorum for the Board to take official action. All meetings are open to the public.
The Board of Adjustments hears and decides on appeals from any order, decision, requirement, or interpretation made by the Zoning Administrator. They will also hear applications for variances, questions involving interpretations of the zoning map, and any other matter the Board is required to act upon by any other town ordinance.
Board of Adjustments Members
- Charles Davant III - Term Expires: 2020
- Buz Helms- Term Expires 2021
- Suzanne Wilson - Term Expires: 2019
- Tom Dixson - Term Expires: 2019
- Laurin Carter - Term Expires: 2020
- Eli Springs - Term Expires: 2019 (Alternate Member)
- Lee Rocamora- Term Expires 2021 (Alternate Member)
- Lance Campbell - Term Expires: 2020 (Alternate Member
- Harrison Herbst - Term Expires: 2020-EJT
The Blowing Rock Appearance Advisory Commission consists of seven (7) members, all of whom are citizens and residents of the Planning and Zoning jurisdiction of the Town. Members are appointed by the Board of Commissioners for a term of three (3) years. Vacancies occurring for reasons other than the expiration of terms shall be filled as they occur for the period of the unexpired term. It is desirable that at least one member be a member of a design profession.
BRAAC shall have all of the responsibilities and duties imposed by the enabling ordinance and shall promote and assist in the implementation of general community beautification in accordance with adopted Town plans/policies. This commission also studies the appearance characteristics of the Town and recommends standards and policies of design for the Town.
BRAAC shall meet as needed. All board meetings are open to the public.
Appearance Advisory Commission Members
- Karen Diamond- Term Expires 2021
- Bo Henderson - Term Expires: 2019
- Chris Wetmore- Term Expires 2021
- Carol Knapp- Term Expires 2021
- Melissa Pickett - Term Expires: 2020
The Blowing Rock Planning Board consist of nine members, eight of which are appointed by the Town Board, and shall reside within the town limits. One member is appointed by Watauga County Board of Commissioners and shall reside within that portion of the town's extraterritorial planning area that lies within Watauga County. Board members are appointed for three year staggered terms, but members may continue to serve until their successors have been appointed.
The Planning Board meets the third Thursday of each month and is only an advisory Board to the Town Council. The Board obtains necessary information and promotes the full and free exchange of ideas. All board meetings are open to the public.
The Planning Board makes studies and recommendations to the Town Council regarding plans, goals and objectives relating to the growth, development and redevelopment of the town and the surrounding extraterritorial planning area. Along with this, they are responsible for developing and recommending pollicies, ordinances, procedures, and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner. The Planning Board also makes recommendations concerning proposed Conditional Use Permits and proposed Zoning Map changes to the Town Council.
The Planning Board acts as the Watershed Review Board on proposed plats and land subdivisions, and hears major and minor variance requests related to subdivisions within the designated Water Supply Watersheds.
Planning Board Members
- Mike Page - Term Expires: 2019
- Wes Carter - Term Expires: 2020
- Genie Starnes - Term Expires: 2019
- Joe Papa - Term Expires: 2018
- Harrison Herbst - Term Expires: 2021 (ETJ Representative)
- David Harwood - , Vice Chair Term Expires: 2020
- Kim Hartley - Term Expires: 2018
- Don Hubble - Term Expires: 2020
- Peir Gherini - Term Expires: 2021
The Blowing Rock Tourism Development Authority consist of five (5) voting members, all appointed by the Town Council and voting residents and/or taxpayers of the Town. The Authority membership is made up of two (2) lodging establishment representatives, two (2) travel/tourism business/non-profit attraction/organization representatives and one (1) at-large representative. At least one (1) member of the Authority shall be a Town of Blowing Rock elected official.
Authority members shall be appointed to three (3) year staggered terms. Initially, one (1) member shall be appointed to serve a one-year term, two (2) members shall be appointed to serve a two-year term and two (2) members shall be appointed to serve a three-year term. Any vacancy occurring in Authority membership shall be filled with an appointment by the Town Council for the unexpired term.
In addition, the Town Finance Officer and the Town Manager shall serve as ex-officio members and will serve as finance officer and secretary respectively for the Authority.
The TDA shall have all of the powers and duties imposed by the enabling ordinance and shall promote, solicit, and encourage tourism in the Town of Blowing Rock in accordance with adopted Town plans/policies and administers the appropriation of the room occupancy tax proceeds. This Authority also studies the impact of tourism on the Town and develops strategies to minimize any negative impacts of tourism on the Town.
The TDA shall meet at least quarterly or as needed. All board meetings are open to the public. The Authority typically meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 3:30 p.m. in April, May, June, July, and October at Town Hall.
- Dean Bullis, Chairman, (Tourism Representative) - Term Expires: 2018
Lance Campbell, (At-large Representative) - Term Expires: 2020
Rob Dyer, (Lodging Representative) - Term Expires: 2019
- Doug Matheson, (Council Representative) - Term Expires: 2018
- Lorry Mulhern, (Lodging Representative) - Term Expires: 2019
- Nicole Norman- Finance Office
- Ed Evans- Town Manager